Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Date Cookies

Contributor:  Beth Sibbett
CC Original

Note:  This makes about 300 cookies.  For normal-size batch, cut back by two-thirds.  I sometimes freeze rolls to keep them longer.  These cookies are made at our home every Christmas.  I triple the batch for us and after I make them into rolls.  I refrigerate them and whenever we want some for dessert, between-meal snacks or an emergency treat for unexpected company, it takes only a few minutes to cut a roll for two and bake a batch.

Cream together:

3 cups shortening
6 cups brown sugar

Add and stir:
6 eggs
6 T cream or milk

Add pre-measured dry ingredients and mix:

9-10 cups flour
3 tsp soda
3 tsp cream of tartar

Add:

3 cups chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, sunflowr seeds)
3 cups chopped dates
3 tsp vanilla
maple/almond flavoring

Mix thoroughly.  I get into the dough with my hands and mix.  I add flour until a consistency that can be shaped into rolls.  Form into 12" rolls.  Rap in waxed paper.  Chill overnight.  Slice and put on well-oiled baking sheet.  Bake in hot oven (400-410 degrees) for 10 minutes or until delicate brown.


Printable Version

No comments:

Post a Comment